The nights are getting cooler and you’re probably already thinking about school football games, Halloween and raking leaves. Before you start raking, however, give your lawn some attention. If you take some time now, your lawn will look great when spring rolls around.
There are several things you can do to your lawn now that will yield impressive results when warm weather returns. The best part? Each of these is a “one off” that you won’t have to repeat until the same time next year:
- If you have your mower set for anything under 2”, adjust it up to this height so that the grass has a chance to set some deep roots before winter.
- If you’re having a dry spell in your area, water your lawn weekly in the morning, when less evaporation will take place. Water thoroughly so that it soaks the ground at least a few inches deep.
- If you have any thinning or bare spots on your lawn, now is the time to over-seed those patches so that the grass will have the chance to establish some roots before spring.
- Apply an herbicide or weed killer to perennial weeds. At this time of year, the weeds will send the herbicide to its root system. Applying it while the grass is damp will yield more effective results.
- Fertilize your lawn. Even if you get a frost soon and lose this year’s green lawn, the fertilizer will go to the roots for improved growth in the spring.
- Dethatch your yard or have someone dethatch it for you. Too much thatch can mean your grass won’t get enough moisture or oxygen when spring comes around.
- Aerating the soil will allow roots to get plenty of oxygen and help water penetrate deep into the soil. Aeration reduces thatch, loosens the soil so that grass can root more easily and improves soil drainage so that standing water won’t be a problem.
After you’ve done all of the above, sit back and sip on a pumpkin spice latté, knowing that next year your yard will look fabulous.
Business owners – if you don’t have the time or the inclination to take care of your company’s lawn, hire the professionals at Mr. B’s Lawn Service. They can do everything needed to keep your business’ lawn looking great. If you’ll have lots of leaves falling in the next few weeks, we’ll take care of raking, trimming etc. so that your property will make a great first impression no matter what season it is!
For a FREE Commercial Lawn Care quote, call Mr. B’s Lawn Service at 724-752-5551!