One of the best times to have yard sales is over a long, holiday weekend. It sounds surprising, until you think about where people will be going over the 4th of July weekend in the U.S. Many people will be traveling back to their hometowns to visit family, others will be taking advantage of a beautiful weekend to go somewhere fun where they can relax and take part in a variety of activities, then settle in for a great fireworks display. Both of these groups offer an instant, new audience for your yard sale.
This weekend, the Ellwood City Area Arts, Crafts, Food & Entertainment Festival will give yard sales an added boost because of increased foot traffic all weekend long. If you live near any road leading into Ellwood City or near Ewing Park, hundreds of people will be walking by your home throughout the day. Why not take advantage of these visitors, already primed to shop, and host a multi-family yard sale?
MAKE YOUR YARD SALE ENTICING
There are several things you can do to make a spur-of-the-moment yard sale successful this weekend:
- Put up plenty of signs with arrows pointing the way to your yard sale
- Make some larger signs that highlight the most attractive items you’re offering. These include collectibles, furniture, tools, local memorabilia, anything patriotic, baby gear and bikes.
- Ask your friends and neighbors to participate; the larger the sale, the more attractive it will be to potential shoppers
- Don’t forget to put your address on some or all of your signs (for those who rely on GPS for finding their way everywhere)
- Display similar articles together. People looking for tools don’t want to have to pick through books, bikes and ballgowns to find the power tools saws. Instead, group all tools together, have an area that’s clearly defined for baby and children’s items, etc.
- Don’t waste too much time schlepping participants’ items back and forth in your car. An EZ Move rental truck can help you move larger items (furniture, baby gear, area rugs, power tools, bikes, etc.) without having to make multiple trips.
- Let the kids set up a lemonade stand or sell crafts they’ve made.
- On Sunday, when everyone is heading out of the park at the close of the Festival, mark everything half price for quick, last chance sales.
Call 724-752-1310 to reserve a truck today (there’s a mileage discount Sunday thru Thursday!) and make some money from Ellwood City’s many Festival visitors this weekend!