Moving into a new house or apartment is always a great adventure – you’re starting a new phase of your life in a new location. But it can be very stressful to try and pack all of your worldly possessions without either breaking some things or misplacing others. Our packing tips can help you keep things organized, safe and secure.
Don’t Start Packing Until You Have ALL the Packing Supplies You Need
It’s better to overestimate than underestimate how many boxes you’ll need. It’s easier to return the empty boxes than discover you don’t have enough on moving day. On that last moving day, you’ll need several boxes to corral all the last minute items such as cleaning supplies, the clothing you still have at your old location and any other items.
You’ll also need:
- Packing tape
- Packing paper or bubble wrap to cushion breakables
- Sharpie markers to number each of the boxes
Be Like Santa Claus – Make a List, Check it Twice
Randomly throwing things into boxes may be faster now, but it will cause huge headaches at your new location. Write everything down – everything! Create a spreadsheet or numbered list. If you’re old school, use a notebook. Number every box as you pack it, writing down everything you put in it on the list or spreadsheet. Be specific about every item. Don’t write down “bathroom stuff.” List each item (toothbrushes, bath towels, first aid kit…).
Use The Right Boxes
There are some items that you’ll want to pack into smaller boxes; books, for instance, are very heavy. It may be tempting to toss them all into one big box, but it would be difficult to move and you could injure yourself trying to carry it. Also pack delicate items into smaller boxes so they won’t get jostled against harder, larger objects that could damage them. Bed linens, pillows and other lightweight items can be packed down into larger boxes.
Wardrobe boxes are a great help because you can hang your clothes up and simply take them out and put them directly into your new closets with less wrinkling. You can also bundle up sweaters, shoes and accessories into shopping bags and drop them into the bottom of the wardrobe boxes before you hang up the rest of your clothes in the boxes. Don’t be afraid to hang your clothes tightly together – it will keep them from falling off the hangers.
Keep It Together
Try to keep similar objects together as you’re packing. Keep small appliances with extension cords and toiletries with your wash cloths and towels. Put small items like keys and picture hooks into small baggies and tape them to the items they go with.
Pack 80% of Your Stuff Ahead of Time
Packing a few days or even a week ahead of your move is essential. Most people can pack 80% of their stuff and survive comfortably using the remaining 20%. You don’t need three TVs or all your cooking utensils. Keep out only what you absolutely need for that last week.
Don’t Forget to Pack Your Suitcases
It seems obvious, but many people don’t use their luggage when packing up their house or apartment. These are great for taking your clothes and last minute items to your new abode. Suitcases are also great for transporting your sensitive paperwork and files. You can easily spot them among a sea of boxes and move them to a secure location in your new home.
Make A Cleaning Kit to Take With You
When you move into your new house, you’ll inevitably want to wipe down the kitchen counters, clean the bathroom and vacuum and dust after all the moving boxes are gone. A plastic bucket is the ideal way to corral cleaning supplies so that when you’re ready to clean you have everything you need at hand.
Pack A “First Night” Kit
Be sure you take a set of sheets, a towel set, toiletries, an alarm clock, MP3 player and other essential items for your first night in your new home. Let each family member pack their own tote bag or box with the items they will need for the first night in your new home so that everyone has what is important to them.
By following these packing tips, you can make the transition from your old home to your new one relatively stress free and more enjoyable. And don’t forget to call EZ Move at 724-752-1310 to schedule a moving truck or arrange for EZ Move’s professional movers to do the heavy lifting for you.